Los Angeles Men’s Central Jail
441 Bauchet Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Men’s Central Jail houses 5,000 inmates, making it the largest jail in the world. Sentenced, high security and pre-trial inmates are incarcerated here. MCJ also has a specialized medical unit that holds around 780 prisoners.
Men’s Central Jail Visiting
- Visiting hours vary and are subject to change without prior notice.
- Anyone who wishes to visit MCJ must display a valid photo identification. Examples are: A California Identification Card or driver’s license, a U.S. Military identification card, a current Passport/Visa or an Alien Registration Card.
- Minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and must also display a valid school photo ID card.
- Record checks may be made for the security of the inmates, employees, visitors, or the facility.
- If you have been incarcerated in a state prison or are on formal probation and do not have permission from the MCJ Unit Commander to visit, or have a warrant, or do not have a valid government issued identification, or are banned from MCJ visiting, you are not allowed to visit here. If the MCJ Unit Commander okays your visit please bring the letter of approval from them with you.
- Inmates are only allowed to receive 3 people per visit (children are included). All visitors must check in at the computers provided for this purpose.
- High Power inmates are those prisoners who must be escorted wherever they go in the jail. They have their own visiting schedule and you must contact the high power deputy for further information.
- MCJ has colored jail lines that indicate where visitors should go. If you are visiting a general population inmate, stay on the yellow line. If you are visiting a high power inmate, stay on the blue line.
- Children cannot be left unattended or you may be banned from visiting.
- No purses, cameras, cell phones, writing tablets, recording devices or weapons are allowed in the visiting lobby.
- Unclassified inmates are not allowed visits or phone calls. First, they must be interviewed by custody officials to determine where they can be housed safely. This process may take two weeks to a month before it is completed.
- Legal Runners must inform the deputy if their visit will be 30 minutes (legal visit) or 45 minutes (legal and regular visit).
- Visiting telephones are on timers and will not turned on until everyone on the row is seated.
- Inmates cannot be visited on the day(s) they go to court.
- Inmates and/or visitors who do not follow jail rules will not be allowed further visits.
- All visits may be suspended during a specified disciplinary time, known as “lockdown.” Visiting deputies are able to advise when this specified disciplinary time is over.
- If you need an inmate to sign papers please go to the Attorney Room, located in the Central Jail Main lobby next to the Visiting area. The Attorney Room is open 8:00 AM to 7:30 PM, Monday – Thursday, and 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Friday.
- If wish to bring the inmate you are visiting eyeglasses, or speak to someone about the prescribed medications they take, please go to the MCJ Main Lobby located next to MCJ Visiting Mon-Fri 5:00AM to 9:00PM. Call Medical Services at (213) 974-4949 for additional information.