Sonoma County Jail – Main Adult Detention Facility
The Main Adult Detention Facility (MADF) is one of the jails operated by the Detention Division of the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Department. The department is responsible for the processing, care and management of inmates being held in detention. The Detention Division is staffed with over 300 employees.
This Main Adult Detention Facility is designed to give “direct supervision” rather than the previous “linear” design of earlier jails in Sonoma County. It is constructed to house up to 790 inmates. The facility houses medium and maximum security inmates, both pre-trial and sentenced.
The direct supervision is designed to allow the officers to make contact with inmates, encourageing the use of interpersonal skills. Currently there are 145 Correctional Deputies, 18 sergeants, 5 lieutenants, and one captain at this facility.
Visiting the Main Adult Detention Facility
Last name beginning with:
A-L Friday and Sunday for all visiting times. Half day visiting on Thursday at 10:15 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 1:40 pm, 2:20 pm, and 3:00 pm.
M-Z Saturday and Monday for all visiting times. Half day visiting on Thursday at 4:25 pm, 6:45 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:15 pm, 9:00 pm, and 9:35 pm.
NO VISITING ON TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY.
- Visits are ½ hour.
- Inmates are allowed one visit per visitation day.
- Module Workers are permitted two 30-minute visits per visiting day.
- Consecutive visits are allowed if time and space permits.
Visiting Hours: (time frames in parentheses indicate sign-in time)
10:15 (9:30-9:50) 1:00 (12:15-12:35) 6:45 (6:00-6:20)
11:00 (10:15-10:35) 1:40 (1:10-1:25) 7:30 (6:50-7:10)
2:20 (1:50-2:05) 8:15 (7:35-7:55)
3:00 (2:30-2:45) 9:00 (8:20-8:40)
4:25 (3:55-4:10) 9:35 (8:55-9:10)
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must reach the bottom of your fingertips when arms are placed at side.
- No bare midriffs, low-cut tube tops, tank tops, or revealing tops.
- No sports team attire or gang attire.
- No beanies, bandanas, hats or hair nets.
- No shoes that will not clear a metal detectoer, including steel-toed boots.
- Final determination will be made by Lobby staff. You will want to dress as if you were going to court.
Visiting General Information:
- Visitors may fill two seats only in the visiting booths. Small children may be seated on a visitor’s lap. Children over 40 inches must be seated in a seat and will be counted as a visitor.
- All visitors, 18 years and older, must have a CA Driver’s License, CA Identification Card, Driver’s License or ID from another state, or other government ID’s such as Passport, Military ID, Mexican Consular Card or Immigration Card. No other forms of ID accepted.
- Minors must be accompanied at all times by an adult.
- The only items allowed in the visiting booth are locker or vehicle key or remote, eyeglasses, baby bottle, visitor’s pass, eyeglasses, and any emergency medications. Everything must clear a metal detector.
- Weapons of any kind, cigarettes, lighters, full sets of keys, knifes, cell phones, hats, excessive jewelry, toys, and writing implements are NOT ALLOWED.
- All personal belongings are to be secured in the provided lockers or in your vehicle. The lockers require two quarters. Visitors must clear the metal detector to visit.
- Any person who appears to be under the influence of any controlled substance or alcohol will not be permitted to visit.